My bike locked up at Union Station

My bike locked up at Union Station

About Me

Multimodal bike commuter.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Splurge!

I'm nearing the end of my two-week vacation, so not a lot of multimodal commuting going on for me right now. But I am getting to ride my excellent Oma most every day, and it has been a joy.

But Sunday, I headed to the garage set on pedaling over to the Jefferson Park Farmers Market to meet my honey who was there, with her bakfiets doing chair massage. As soon a I unlocked my Oma, I saw something quite wrong: the front tire was flat. I pumped up the tire just in case, but within a few seconds could tell it was not going to hold air. I called Yvonne and told her I wouldn't be able to meet her. I toyed with walking Oma down to our blue line stop but couldn't bear the thought of carrying it down the stairs twice (once at our stop, and then again at the Damen stop--since neither stop has an elevator).

After Yvonne arrived home, we decided to load Oma in the back of the Baja and head to Dutch Bike Chicago. Strangely Yvonne noticed her commuter bike also had a flat, so we ended up loading both bikes in the back of the Baja and headed off to Dutch Bike.

I love my bike but the one thing that I'd improve are the grips which get super slippery in a rain storm or on hot sweaty days. I'd been eyeing the handsome PDW Dapper Dan Ergo grips for sometime, and used this as my excuse to splurge and get them.

Let me tell you they are so worth it. The leather is soft like buttah and feels great. They look wonderful on the bike and make me happy each time I ride. Well worth the investment!


Now, can you imagine how fantastic my bike will look when I trade up from my milk crate and get my Bates Crate in a few weeks?! How lucky can one girl be?



2 comments:

  1. Hey just stumbled upon your blog. When you do the multimode commute do you ride a train you can bring you bike on? Or do you leave it locked up at one station. I've been looking at Montague folding bikes so I can hopefully take my bike on the train with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ryan,

    I ride Metra in Chicago which has pretty limited/restricted hours of when a bike can be brought on the train. So I keep a bike locked up at Union Station overnight between commutes. It's not ideal, and I wish there was secure indoor bike parking.

    A folding bike would be great and I've been eyeing a Bromptons and Terns. Do let me know if you get the Montague and what you think of it!

    ReplyDelete