My bike locked up at Union Station

My bike locked up at Union Station

About Me

Multimodal bike commuter.

Sunday, August 7, 2011

•test ride a different type of bike than you normally ride (road bike, mountain bike, etc.)



And now, the final piece for my entry into the LGRAB Summer Games 2011--test ride a different sort of bike than you normally ride.

My two primary rides are my WorkCycles Oma (which stays at home and doesn't get ridden nearly as often as I like), and a Trek mountain bike I use for commuting. I've had the Trek bike all-kinds-of modified to make it feel more upright and comfortable for commuting (upright handlebars, fender, rack for carrying items). And although my partner Yvonne has had a WorkCycle Bakfiets for a year now (we each purchased our Dutch Bikes from the fantastic Dutch Bike Chicago), I am embarrassed to admit that I never even tried to ride it. That is, until yesterday!

Here are two quick videos of me starting out in the alley, and then returning after riding around the neighborhood on it. I was pleasantly surprised by how easy it is to get used to it. While I'm not yet ready to haul our nephew in it, or a massage table, or hundreds of pounds of topsoil the way Yvonne has, I will start working my way up to some of that impressive hauling on the bakfiets!


No comments:

Post a Comment